Hot Buttered Rum Recipe

Mmm!  Hot cocktails are perfect for this time of year, aren't they?  I love my mulled wine and hot toddy, but this year, I discovered the magical wonderfulness of the hot buttered rum.  So, naturally, I had to share a recipe with you guys!  It tastes just like a butterscotch or toffee, so if those aren't your favorite flavors, you may want to skip out on this one.  Also, while most recipes I've seen use cinnamon, I used the Cinna-Cream Sprinkles from Watkins.  It's very similar to other hot buttered rums, but does have that extra little creamy taste to it that I personally find lovely.  One last thing - though it may be tempting, I would not recommend taking a mug as big as the one pictured below.  It's kind of strong. ;)


Ingredients:
  • 2 cups water
  • 1/2 stick butter
  • 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1 tsp cinna-cream sprinkles
  • 1/2 tsp nutmeg
  • 1/4 tsp ground cloves
  • 1/8 tsp salt
  • 2/3 cup dark rum


Bring everything but the rum to a boil in a medium sized saucepan.  Then, reduce the heat, and allow to simmer for about 10 minutes to allow the flavors to combine together.  Finally, remove from heat and stir in the rum.  We used Sailor Jerry's rum, since that's one of Joe's favorites, but it didn't make the photo above, because we found out that there are pictures underneath the label late one night, and let's just say the bottle doesn't look as nice anymore.


Just because I think that whole event was really quite amusing, I have to explain what happened there.  We were lying in bed, looking at Reddit, which is something we do pretty much every night, when we came across that tidbit of information.  So, we'd been in bed for a little while at least and had to get up from our bed, run into the kitchen, and examine this bottle, then proceed to text a couple of our friends about what was behind the label.  It's really sad how excited we get when we learn something new.

Comments